Friday, 19 December 2014

My Sinful Path


I recently participated in an online literary event where i was required to come up with an interpretation or real world incident that connects to a famous poem by ROBERT FROST- The Road Not Taken. So I came up with this.

My Sinful Path

I stood at the crossroads in 1947,
One path prophesied the hell, other Heaven.
I was not satisfied and I craved for more,
No doubts about that, I knocked the former’s door.

I attempted thrice, but could not win,
Kept passing the responsibility to the next of kin.
My neighbor was empathetic but I never cared,
I tried everything that could keep her scared.

I nurtured snakes in my backyard to bite my neighbor,
Then came the time when it hit me hard and I had to suffer.
I kept on trying, but it kept on turning gloom,
Meanwhile my neighbor entered the space, went to moon.

When my snakes failed to seal the deal, I approached the dragon,
In the facade of pushing my cause, it conquered me for once and forever.
My neighbor asked me to get along time and again,
And alas I think today, it wouldn't have been a bad option.

Never learnt from my mistakes, never from my pain,
All my efforts were always in vain.

I lost my identity and it was entirely my fault,
Perhaps in 1947, I should have given it some thought.
If you are still wondering who I am,
Well, Pakistan was my name, and I finally claim all blame.

2 comments: