Wednesday, 28 May 2014

The Time Travel

The Time Travel



“It’s the last call for passengers of Flight no. 9W10 to Singapore. Kindly report at the boarding desk”, announced the Mumbai Airport authorities.

I rushed to the boarding desk, completed the essentials and finally boarded my flight to Singapore.

While I had been travelling alone in India, this was going to be my first foreign experience. This trip promised me a much needed break from my monotonous routine.  I chose Singapore-Malaysia-Thailand tour package over others as the brochure promised taking me to exotic locations that we Indians usually see in our typical Bollywood movies and are tempted to be  there at least once, all this at a little-over-affordable price.

I located my seat, placed the handbag on my lap and took a deep breath to mark a fresh beginning to the much awaited holiday.

Once I settled down, I peeped to look around for people who were travelling with the same touring services as I was, and as expected, they were all old couples on their second honeymoon. Lack of companionship wasn’t a blow; I had been living a lonely life since years. I never had friends to hang out with; I chose this life for myself. The competition that my parents expected  me to face and get through never allowed me to make friends, saved a lot of time and energy though and promised me a stable career.

The flight took off a little late, perhaps waiting for a passenger. I took up a magazine from my bag and made myself busy and cut-off from the chitter-chatter of the oldies. The seat next to me was fortunately unoccupied.  

“Hey, hello”, said the stranger, “I guess, this is my seat”. I turned to look whether I was the one being addressed. And yes, the girl in yellow was indeed talking to me. “Mam, may I have a look at your ticket?” , I literally snatched her ticket to view the details. “The ticket clearly mentions seat no. 22A, which must obviously adjacent to 21A and 23A. Using a bit of common sense, one can clearly make out that the count for seats begins from left, so if this compartment mentions 21-23A, yours has to be the middle one”.

The girl gave me a perplexed look, took a minute to interpret what I said, and slowly settled on her seat, adjacent to me.

“You haven’t changed a bit nerdy-birdy , have you??”. I turned to her with a baffled face, to make sure if she was talking to me. Oh yes she was. Before I could say anything, she continued, “You don’t seem to have moved on to better things nerdy, you are still the same, engrossed in the boring magazine, never giving a damn to what’s happening around.”

I tried to make out who was she, was she a neighbour and old friend, no, I never had friends, an acquaintance, ugh.. And why was she talking to me like that??  People don’t talk to me like that; people shouldn’t talk to me like that.

“Mr. Aman Sinha, nice to see you again”. Still puzzled, I looked at her, anticipating an introduction.  And before I could ask for it, there she was striking again, “I realize nerdy, however hard you press your nerves, you won’t be able to trace where we met. So I’ll help you relax your nerves”.

“Get to the point”, I kept saying in my mind.

“Tishani Joshi, was with you at high school”.  
I tried to recollect, but again she interrupted, “I asked you not to put in efforts, your nerdy little brain won’t be able to recognise me”.  

I didn’t get a reason as to what trouble I caused her, which made her talk to me like that, and I thought it was better to avoid wasting my time in things I haven’t paid for and what wasn’t in the travel agency brochure. So, I reverted back to the magazine and decided to ignore all her subsequent interventions.

As I struggled to engross myself with the magazine at hand, she fired again, “Singapore ha?? 7 day tour package?? Alone??”.

“Yep-Yep-Yep”, I tried to keep it as short as possible.

In the next 5 hour journey, there were a couple of such attacks, my answering pattern being the same. For sensible questions, I did spare some kindness.

We landed at Changi International Airport, Singapore and headed to our hotels.
…………………………………………………………………………………………


No comments:

Post a Comment